Still traveling, but let me see if I can briefly dispel some of the
confusion.

CC BY-SA 3.0 grants users the right to use an image under copyright law. It
does not cover trademark rights. The goal of trademark rights is to protect
the logo from being used in a way that confuses the public. Trademark
protection only covers certain types of uses, which are not the same as use
covered with a copyright license like CC BY-SA 3.0. The Wikimedia trademark
policy provides how the logos can be used as trademarks and here is some
discussion about why it does that:
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_policy-purpose#trademark-purpose
.

So are the logos "free" under the Free Culture Definition? Yes, because the
definition only talks about freedom under copyright law and lists CC BY-SA
3.0 as a "free license." The definition does not mean that users have
freedom to violate other types of rights.

Hope this clarifies!

Yana

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 11:54 PM, Allan J. Aguilar <ral...@vmail.me> wrote:

Yana Welinder
Legal Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6867
@yanatweets <https://twitter.com/yanatweets>

NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.