Michael Snow <wikipe...@frontier.com> wrote:

> [...]

> Also, I'm no expert on EU regulations, but I do observe that
> according to the European Payments Council, it seems payees
> receiving SEPA credit transfers are advised to communicate
> the IBAN "only where necessary":
> http://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/index.cfm/sepa-credit-transfer/iban-and-bic/
> (and likewise for payers making direct debit payments).

That text and Regulation 260/2012 it refers to use "only
where necessary" to refer to the publication of the *BIC* as
it is only necessary for routing in the transition period
that ends February 1st, 2016 at the latest.

> (and likewise for payers making direct debit payments). It
> may simply be that the fundraising team has been advised
> that this is more consistent with providing the IBAN upon
> request, rather than posting it on the website. Not to
> disparage what may be common practice at other
> organizations, but that does seem like a natural conclusion
> to draw from that guidance.

It could also be that the guidance was bad (or misunder-
stood) and it is advisable to change banks before money is
"lost".

Tim