On 8 January 2015 at 07:07, mcc99 <mc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> If you ask any RN the names of the greatest contributors to the nursing
> profession, you'll get a stream of women's names.  To suggest that nursing
> "needs" more men or else it won't be able to achieve its greatest potential
> would be a crass and inaccurate insult to the many thousands of women who
> have made modern nursing what it is.  Of course there have been and will be
> male nurses who stand out as contributors, but only a very small
> percentage, probably in keeping with the ratio of men to women in nursing.
> And yet, despite the high salaries RNs command, are there any
> gov't-sponsored initiatives to get men into nursing?

In fact nurses get paid less than the male national average wage. This is
clearly some definition of high salaries I wasn't previously familiar with

> If so, it'd be news to me and many others.  But I ask, if men by and
> large, for whatever reasons, aren't interested in becoming nurses, why make
> a big deal about it?

Reducing the recruitment pool is less than ideal. However the number of men
training to be nurses has been increasing so it is probably felt the
problem will solve itself.

> Are there gov't-sponsored campaigns to get more women into the relatively
> lucrative job of refuse collection?

Ah you can tell the piece you are recycling from is dated. Post
privatisation refuse collection has ceased to be a particularly lucrative
job.

Or, the likewise lucrative jobs of plumber,

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/call-more-women-construction-3m-6942911

Although again due to eastern European labour plumbing isn't as lucrative
as it used to be.

> ordnance disposal engineer,

I understand there have been various attempts to recruit women into the
military

> nuclear materials technician, etc.?  No.  But other fields that are a lot
> less dirty and/or dangerous, yes.

Were you under the impression that nuclear materials technician was dirty
and/or dangerous? For very obvious reasons it isn't. However the nuclear
industry has been downsizing of late so I don't think there are significant
programs to recruit anyone.

>  (Think professional STEM fields.)

I'm a chemist you insensitive clod. Depending on what you are doing it can
be dirty or dangerous.

--
geni