> > But, my initial point was: Am I missing something? Would there be any
> > reason why such grammar would have sense without ND clause?

> Milos,

> Could we not import these works onto Wikisource in original format,
> where they would be preserved without permitting altering from the
> original?  Wikisource community is a 'free-culture' equivalent of ND -
> altering the original is considered to be vandalism.

This makes perfect sense to me.

But since Milos asked: In Wikisource changing the original is indeed
vandalism, but somebody must notice that it's vandalism. AFAIK Wikisource
doesn't have a proper way to authenticate that the document is in its
original form.

The immediate geeky thing that comes to mind is to add some digital
signature or checksum to the version that Matica Srpska considers the
authoritative one and to declare that anything that doesn't have the same
checksum is not the normative grammar.

Another example from the Free software world is TeX, which can be relevant
here: It is released under a Free license, and modification is allowed, but
modified versions cannot be called "TeX". See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeX#License

Making it ND is a problem not just because of free licensing purism. Just
for the sake of the example, let's say that this normative grammar is a
book in four parts: pronunciation, spelling, morphology and syntax. I am
teaching a course on Serbian morphology and I want to use the corresponding
chapter, and no others. Printing all chapters would waste paper, but
printing only one chapter would violate the ND clause. Of course, teachers
all around the world do it all the time anyway, but we don't want to
violate anything, right? :)

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬