On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Thyge <ltl.pri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not think that WMF's filing a suit against NSA should be a starting
> point for demanding the WMF to cure all the evils of the World, political
> or otherwise.

Well, not all the evils of the world, obviously. :) But there is certainly
precedent for the Foundation tackling problems in Wikipedia itself. Recall
past board resolutions on BLP matters, for example.

> Even handling the recognized problems of some minor Wikipedias fall
> outside the scope of the WMF.

Isn't it in the Foundation's long-term interest though? I can't imagine
donors being overly happy if a part of their money ends up supporting
projects whose function is in any way similar to that of Pravda in the
Soviet era.

> Wikipedia is the Encyclopedia anyone can edit - except the WMF!
> (if they want to uphold their status as service provider).

I don't recall suggesting that WMF edit those Wikipedias. I suggested that
they collaborate with human rights organizations to monitor status, and
report on it as part of their stewardship of the Wikipedia project. Is
there anything wrong with that idea?