No, the WMF can't be physically prevent from using superprotect or
something like it.  Removing the tool from the software would be more a
symbolic measure than anything.

In principle though, it may be possible to convince the WMF not to use it
(or only use it under conditions agreed upon in consultation with the
editor communities).  Building such an agreement could have benefits for
WMF-Community relations, whereas misuse of the tool would be detrimental to
community relations.  Though intangible, those relationships are important,
and the WMF appreciates that there is value there that should be considered.

So, no, we can't force the WMF to respect our wishes, but we can hope that
they will work with us because a good relationship between the WMF and the
editor community is important for both groups.

-Robert Rohde