I'd be happy to offer my admin/oversighter experience and knowledge to help
you develop the labeling and such, Aaron! I just commented on Andreas's
proposal on the Community Wishlist, but to summarize here: I see a lot of
potential pitfalls in trying to handle/generalize this with machine
learning, but I also see a lot of potential value, and I think it's
something we should be investigating.

-Fluffernutter

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 11:32 AM, Aaron Halfaker <ahalfa...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> > The League of Legends team collaborated with outside scientists to
> > analyse their dataset. I would love to see the Wikimedia Foundation
> engage
> > in a similar research project.
>

> Oh!  We are!  :) When we have time. :\ One of the projects that I'd like to
> see done, but I've struggled to find the time for is a common talk page
> parser[1] that could produce a dataset of talk page interactions.  I'd like
> this dataset to be easy to join to editor outcome measures.  E.g. there
> might be "aggressive" talk that we don't know is problematic until we see
> the kind of effect that it has on other conversation participants.
>
> Anyway, I want some powerful utilities and datasets out there to help
> academics look into this problem more easily.  For revscoring, I'd like to
> be able to take a set of talk page diffs, have them classified in Wiki
> labels[2] as "aggressive" and the build a model for ORES[3] to be used
> however people see fit.  You could then use ORES to do offline analysis of
> discussions for research.  You could use ORES to interrupt the a user
> before saving a change.  I'm sure there are other clever ideas that people
> have for what to do with such a model that I'm happy to enable it via the
> service.  The hard part is getting a good dataset labeled.
>
> If someone wants to invest some time and energy into this, I'm happy to
> work with you.  We'll need more than programming help.  We'll need a lot of
> help to figure out what dimensions we'll label talk page postings by and to
> do the actual labeling.
>
> 1. https://github.com/Ironholds/talk-parser
> 2. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_labels
> 3. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/ORES
>
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 6:56 AM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 9:13 PM, Benjamin Lees <emufarm...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > This article highlights the happier side of things, but it appears
> > > that Lin's approach also involved completely removing bad actors:
> > > "Some players have also asked why we've taken such an aggressive
> > > stance when we've been focused on reform; well, the key here is that
> > > for most players, reform approaches are quite effective. But, for a
> > > number of players, reform attempts have been very unsuccessful which
> > > forces us to remove some of these players from League entirely."[0]
> > >

> > Thanks for the added context, Benjamin. Of course, banning bad actors
> that
> > they consider unreformable is something Wikipedia admins have always done
> > as well.
> >
> > The League of Legends team began by building a dataset of interactions
> that
> > the community considered unacceptable, and then applied machine-learning
> > that dataset.
> >
> > It occurs to me that the English Wikipedia has ready access to such a
> > dataset: it's the totality of revision-deleted and oversighted talk page
> [...]

Karen Brown
user:Fluffernutter

*Unless otherwise specified, any email sent from this address is in my
volunteer capacity and does not represent the views or wishes of the
Wikimedia Foundation*