The initiative is good also to train the community how to approach the
tools' development.

I think, and this is not a comment for Wikisource for it's a general
comment, that a tool is not a simple piece of software running for a bunch
of things.

The name "tool" is correct because is something available for a use: it can
used or not used.

Instead a "service" is a combination of tools, processes and people.

Good tools are important to build a good service but are not sufficient.

The real problem is that people miss always these three aspects and in
addition there is a wrong approach of programmers to build a tool with a
bad planning and analysis.

Several PM frameworks say that 80% of the time must be dedicated to plan,
because a good planning is mandatory for a good result.

The results of this survey are interesting, but this is a simple
"initiation process", it means that the better evaluation must follow.

So it's correct that a simple tool doesn't solve a problem.

Kind regards

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 7:54 AM, Andrea Zanni <zanni.andre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> (splitting as per Richard request)
>
> > Question for the Wikisource folks: would Project Grants be a way to get
> > resources for you? If you can design a project and find people with the
> > right skills, that avenue might be beneficial for you. I have a software
> > developer in mind who would probably like to work with you if resources
> are
> > available and a project has the support of the community and WMF.
> >
> > Pine
>
> Hi Pine. My personal answer to your question is: no. Because we've already
> tried that, and we did barely scratch the surface of the issues.
> I'm on mobile and cannot provide you details and references, but in the
> past years we used both IEG and Google Summer of Code for funding
> developers, and we had few successinaddressing main issues. Also, tools
> that worked and were helpful are now abandoned.
> What wikisource lacks is development to core software, not only external,
> cool tools, which are fine but in the end don't really solve problems.
>
> I can elaborate further and bore you with details but, ina nutshell, we
> just need  commitment from people who can bring theirlines ofcode into
> production. As Wikisource is formally a Wikimedia project, and provides its
> tiny contribution to the mission and also to fundraising, I would expect a
> commitment of this sort coming from WMF.
>
> Aubrey

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens