I totally second this.
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Fæ
Sent: Wednesday, 13 January 2016 1:11 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Better thankspam

TL;DR
Can anyone suggest of a better way of publicly logging thanks, hellos &
goodbyes for our public email lists?

BACKGROUND
Wikimedia lists are probably unique in the number of emails over a year which
'thankspam'. For example there is a pattern set that an awful lot of chapter
representatives send public welcomes and goodbyes without conveying any new
information. Sometimes when my email notifier shows about ten of these on the
same day, I've made the effort to block that thread, I don't know of a way of
specifically muting the notifications for these types of emails on my mobile
phone.

Though everyone could chose to send these privately rather than making a public
statement, I understand the motivation for "us too"s to be noticed by others
who are not the intended 'thanked'. On email lists something like ensuring
thank email subject lines have a formulaic part of the title would help, so
that readers can choose to mute them; equivalent to marking "minor" or "bot"
edits on our projects so they don't get flagged in recent changes.

This thought stirred by Ad's email, but not against the sentiment he was aiming
for.

PS For those that recall my meta thanks reports, I hope to get this online
again soon once a related phabricator task is resolved.

Fae