I agree that thankspam is somewhat irritating, but it is also a good way to
make people feel welcome and appreciated. An alternative is to consider
moving wikimedia-l to a tool like discourse.org that has (1) built-in
likes, which communicate welcome and appreciation without creating noise
and (2) ability for all users to mute/ignore specific threads. (Also better
moderation tools, and likely somewhat more welcoming to people who don't
use email much, or feel overwhelmed by it - both of whom are large groups!)

Obviously that would be somewhat of a big change, but it's something we can
look into (low priority! no promises!) if people have interest.

Luis

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 6:17 PM, Gergo Tisza <gti...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Chris Keating <chriskeatingw...@gmail.com
> >
> wrote:
> >
> > To me, "Hello" and "Thank you" are quite under-used words on this list
> (in
> > the movement generally but particularly here) so I would prefer we didn't
> > rule these emails out.
> >
> > After all, if we remove pile-on positive threads that contain little
> > information then pile-on negative threads with equally little information
> > will probably still remain.
>
> +1
> I would much rather filter outrage spam :-) There is more of it, and unlike
> thanks, it tends to have a demoralizing effect.

Luis Villa
Sr. Director of Community Engagement
Wikimedia Foundation
*Working towards a world in which every single human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge.*