Hi!

I have been recently investigating business models for community based
and collaborative online services. You do not have to reinvent the
wheel (or discussions), there is some experience in this field from
other projects. So, to move the discussion away from just opinions and
feelings...

I would suggest that anyone interested in monetizing APIs check how
MusicBrainz (https://musicbrainz.org/) is doing it.

An open encyclopedia for music metadata. Their data is all open,
collaboratively made, and APIs are free to use, but big users are
asked to pay. In this way they are getting money from Google, for
example. You should contact them and check how they feel about issues
raised here: Do they feel that they get strings attached for receiving
money from Google? How do their contributors feel about them getting
money in this way? How do they achieve that big players pay, but
community projects, researchers, and others do not? What is the
process to determine that? In fact, I am CCing Rob from MusicBrainz
here.

You could also check Crossref, another non-profit serving APIs to the
community and commercial entities. To my knowledge their approach is
that they provide free API for everyone, but if you require uptime and
SLAs then you pay. CCing Geoffrey from Crossref.

Another project to look at is Arxiv, an archive of academic articles'
preprints. Their model is to look from which
universities/organizations the most requests are coming based on IPs
and then contacting them and suggesting that they pay/donate for their
service. In this way the service is free for users, but organizations
behind big groups of users are paying for service to be online for
everyone.

Mitar

http://mitar.tnode.com/
https://twitter.com/mitar_m