Hoi,
To quote a Wikipedia maxim .. "citation needed".  It is one thing to say
that something is costly and, it is. It is another to say that Wikimania is
expensive. It is expensive when it does not provide a value relative to
costs.

When you compare with Red Hat, you talk about professional people in
relation to Red Hat. This is not what our community is. They are volunteers
and while some have the money to pay their own way, this is certainly
dependant on where people are from. Given that we suck at supporting the
"global south", I am afraid that your thinking is in terms of money and not
in terms of value and lost sight what our community is.

The comparison with Red Hat and your point is flawed.
Thanks,
       GerardM