GerardM,

As much as I agree with you on many things related to Wikimania, your
statement about en.wp and USA being “over subsidized” is off base.

For the last few years I’ve held my tongue as American applicants get a
fraction of 10% of all the funding for Wikimania scholarships. That’s
because 10% is allocated to all of North America, so US based folks compete
with Canadians for that small slice of the pie. Indeed, key community
members from the US could not afford to go to Wikimania, and did not,
because of the limited funding. We also do not have a strong chapter system
to make up for that shortcoming, where European chapters can, and do,
underwrite their local members with other funds.

I am not against the bulk of the scholarship money going to
underrepresented developing markets and giving new voices a chance to
attend. But I wanted to dispel the myth that Americans are always gorging
at the trough.

https://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships#Scholarship_selection_process
https://wikimania2014.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships#Selection_process

-Andrew