Chris & Ellie:  I don't think I would include 'WMF Travel/Accomodation' or
general Wikimedia PR in the Wikimania overhead.
  * Staff have a budget for travel to events of all kinds; the Board has a
budget for its meetings wherever they are held; and similarly the few
committees that meet in person have a budget for those meetings.
  * The fact that these things happen to take place at Wikimania is, if
anything, a slight cost savings: some of the logistics of scheduling and
finding venues can be shared, it allows coordinating press events, &c.

Lodewijk, I agree: we should be able to find ways to limit direct expenses,
and increase sponsorships.  We could also increase the number of people who
benefit from scholarships, or are otherwise able to attend.

Focusing on direct expenses from recent Wikimanias:
* 2014 budget:  $250K revenue + a $150K WMF grant.  Actual: $280K revenue,
needed $320K from WMF to cover direct expenses
* 2015 budget:  $150K revenue + a $300K WMF grant.  Actual: $100K revenue,
needed $380K from WMF to cover direct expenses
* 2016 budget:  $290K? revenue + a $250K WMF grant.

Itzik, what were the equivalent budgets for Haifa?  From the post-mortem on
Meta it looks like a $280K budget, and a $100K WMF grant. This included
paying for the event coordinator, which is now budgeted separately. That
was for the finest event one could hope for.

Lodewijk writes:
> 'wikimania direct' is quite expensive, to be honest, and much more than I
> would have expected. However, it does include catering, which is always
> an expensive chunk...

Registration fees should at least cover the marginal cost of the event:
catering & materials per person.

> looking at these figures, I can agree that it should be possible to do it
for
> less, I'm less certain though whether the proposed splitting up would
> significantly reduce the total costs for everything that is included here.

The greater part of money spent on attending Wikimania is the out-of-pocket
cost of flights and hotels.  The cost of this for non-local attendees is
10-50x the cost of registration.  Running many simultaneous local events
has a greater total budget, if you look only at the budgets of the
organizers; but a much lower cost per person.  There are many more options
for free venues and low-cost lodging when you're not scrambling to fit 1000
people in a small region of a city.  And a smaller fraction of money spent
goes towards jet fuel.

For this reason, the same pool of scholarship funds would go farther.

Finally, I don't think we should oversell the current Wikimania as a
universal connector.  I too want there to be a community thing that builds
interpersonal connections and is accessible to every community member at
low cost.  But that thing cannot be a $2,000-net-cost week-long
conference.  Many people could never attend such an event, even if it were
free.  It is a long time commitment, and is inevitably mono or bilingual.

Sam
(who loves the current Wikimanias, and thinks they should continue! but
doesn't think they are the pinnacle of what movement-gatherings could be)

--
Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266