I think there are more ways of supporting volunteers than just paying them
cash. For instance another option could be to offer them a place to stay,
food and healthcare. That is how many volunteer programs work, like
workaway or woofing, and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Would it be an acceptable compromise?

Regards,
Micru

Etiamsi omnes, ego non