Speaking from my non-Wikimedia experiences with nonprofit boards, I think
Risker makes some good points.

Even a very good notetaker is going to make mistakes. There are things said
they accidentally didn’t hear, they misunderstood what someone was saying, or
simply summarized a point using wording that doesn’t sound quite right to the
person who said it. Note taking is a different skill from dictating ever word,
and when a non-messenger is summarizing for messengers, things tend to need
edits before they are considered “final”. However, that said, I do agree that
our Board should be striving to do this faster than has been done recently.

Regarding recording meetings, I have seen this tried before, and do not believe
it is what we are really looking for. In reality, as Risker noted, it changes
the behavior of participants - and usually not in an effective way. A lot more
time is spent in meetings pondering the “right” way to say something before you
say it. When it’s not being recorded, people are more inclined to offer early
and incomplete thoughts. Perhaps it is good for people to pick their words more
carefully first, but in my experience, usually makes the meetings less
effective, and just results in a lot more “behind the scenes” dealmaking and
conversations. I believe these types of meetings are most effective when they
are a safe space to talk through complex problems. Additionally, I feel I
should note there is a very real difference between Wikimedia Foundation and
the governments we are sometimes compared to. WMF does not enjoy the same legal
protections as governments do, and our movement’s or Foundation’s public
meeting documentation are not free from threats of defamation/libel lawsuit
threats (which Govt. meetings are free from). The end result for organizations
I have seen try this is that a lot less gets said in meetings out of fear of
being sued. The only way to really offset that would be to create a large legal
fund to prepare, but even then, who wants to the Board member that has dipped
into the legal fund half a dozen times in their terms? Also, is a legal fund
defending potentially offensive things said during Board meetings the best use
of our donors’ dollars?

I absolutely 100% agree that work needs to be done to help both the
organization and our Board rebuild trust, and some of that needs to be either
putting information out in better ways, and making sure info IS out there. I
also understand and have seen this particular set of ideas come up as solutions
for similar problems elsewhere. However, I do feel I should point out that like
some ideas that sounded good and logical on paper, when it was tried out, the
results were disappointing. It is entirely possible we’ll be the exception, but
I’m not personally very confident in that. As such, I think we should ponder
ways to make the notes posting process better, and ways that the Board can
improve communication outside of their official meetings. Plus, let’s be
honest, the meetings are not where everything is happening anyway. I want to
know about the whole picture, not just that part of it.

-greg (User:Varnent)