Pavel Richter <m...@pavelrichter.de> wrote:

> […]
>    3.

>    So think hard before you grant confidentiality
>    If someone asks you to keep something they are going to tell you
>    confidential, think hard before you agree to it. In the case of James
>    Heilman (or any other board member), their obligation is towards the WMF,
>    and they can not step away from this in order to keep certain information
>    confidential. So, in my opinion, no board member is able to grant
>    confidentiality to a staff member, because there is a good chance that they
>    are obliged to disclose this information under their obligations towards
>    the WMF.

> […]

Is that true?  Apparently James Heilman withheld information
from the board that was given to him confidentially, and ad-
vised by both internal and external legal counsel the board
did not force him to disclose that information.  That looks
to me more like that board members' obligations to the WMF
can be met (at least most times) while maintaining confiden-
tiality.

There are probably cases where for example a confidential
reporter is the only witness to a crime against the WMF and
thus his identity must be revealed to others but I don't see
why board members would need to disclose who suggested to
them to take a closer look at something.

Tim