Paid editing is addressed in the WMF terms of service and is a problem that
has confronted or will confront most of the prominent projects in the
movement. An alert to an RfC regarding principles of broader import, and a
small amount of linked discussion, seems to be a perfectly reasonable use
of the list. Wikimedia-L need not be only announcements, messages of thanks
and congratulations, and grousing about etiquette or WMF internal politics.