Hoi,
Right. I agree. It is vital for us to have a safe space where we have our
conference. When we assess a place we should indeed do a risk assessment.
This risk assessment is for all of us. It means that we have to be safe to
do our thing at the conference, we have to be safe at our digs, we have to
be safe to party when we go (together) out and party and obviously we have
to go travel safely to and from the air port.

Every country knows about conferences and it is reasonable to talk with
them before the conference is held. Countries do want conferences and
typically it is possible to find a framework where everybody attending can
safely do what is part of a conference program.

Greg, LGBT gets a lot of attention and I have no problem with that; it has
been a considerable move forward. As you say, they are not the only group
who are stigmatised. They are not the only group that have to consider
their behaviour when they travel, when they live where they live. USA is in
turmoil. But it is for the USA to allow for it to be what it is. Mr Clinton
was almost impeached because of Mrs Lewinsky.. Mr Trump is far more likely
to get off the rails given his history. The point of the USA is that it has
to be assessed in the same way as all other countries and to be honest,
many people feel extremely anxious going there. That is not a reason not to
go, but it is vital that the USA is treated no different from other
countries. It is vital that everyone understands that when he is a guest in
a country, he has to appreciate where he is. Be advised that according to
Amnesty International no police force in the USA abides by the
international agreed rules the USA signed up for. There are known police
forces that are violently different from those agreements.

The point is, we should not let fear guide us, we should be prudent in all
risk assessments and indeed everyone should be able to attend. In the past
we have been to countries where this has not been the case. So take that as
a precedent. We need to come together but it is not only about LGBT it is
also about LGBT.
Thanks,
      GerardM