i got two further links in private mails which seem helpful in this
area. first, a page on commons which suggests to split commons in
"safe" and "not safe". besides putting the license info and
attribution into the picture this would be my personal favourite, as
it can be easy explained to users:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/NonFreeWiki

and second, steinsplitter noted that cc-by-sa 4 contains a clause in
section 6 where the license reinstates in case it is fixed after a
notification:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode

what gergő says, that this hurts the reputation and morale, and
andreas kolbes remark that what people see on wikipedia is giving a
wrong example - mere mortals do not get such subtleties. while i fully
agree with yann that it is not pleasant that a political party uses an
image, i do not think you did upload to commons to make money, isn't
it? so if you get 500 or 5000 it does not matter too much?

james case is very different. there somebody deliberately breaks the
license for years. i contacted amazon and the process to report
copyright violations is tedios. only the person whose copyright is
violated can do it, and single cases need to be reported. not funny if
*thousands* of books are concerned. as far as i know james is in
contact with the wikimedia foundation legal team. stephen, any news
here?

best
rupert