Simon,

If you look at the comments under Barbara's piece, Greg linked to this
YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZurOYgQLT44

I had a look at that video before posting here. (I think it's kind of a
daft video, but it does a perfectly good job of demonstrating how the Echo
works.)

In this video, the lady asks at the beginning, "Alexa, who is Edward
Snowden?"

The response reflects the lead sentence of the Wikipedia article, such as
it was at the time.

At 0:30 in the video, she asks "Alexa, who is the FBI?" Again, Alexa
responds with the lead sentence of Wikipedia's FBI article as it was at the
time.

So she did not explicitly ask for the Wikipedia article, and yet got
Wikipedia content. And I wonder, if she had said "Tell me more", would she
have gotten more from Wikipedia at that point?

You say that Alexa reportedly gets some of this from Bing. But even if
that's the case, how does it make a difference? To me it seems rather like
Flickrwashing (Bingwashing?).

The end result is that the chain of attribution is broken and the content
is treated as though it were public domain rather than published under a
Creative Commons licence.

Andreas