One would certainly aspire to be on time and on budget, but the reality of
complex engineering projects is that surprises happen. Developing a new
product isn't like building products on an assembly line where time and
cost are relatively easy to predict.

I think that looking for managers who are generally on time and on budget
with their projects is a good thing, but I also think that we should have
realistic expectations.

Pine