> Are you familiar with Twitter and Facebook's use of blue checkboxes for
> "verified" accounts? Are you discussing something similar to that?

It could visually be similar, but I'm mostly interesting in similar
functionality. It would be similar in that it would only be some users that
would have an identified (verified) account. It would be different in that
the users themselves would be able to do the necessary actions to make
their accounts identified (verified).

Sure. A relatively easy option for "identifying" users, which has been
> discussed previously, is requiring the use of a credit card or a phone
> number in order to edit. These types of proposals have not been popular.

Yes, there are several systems we could use, but I would rather only use
systems that allow highly trustworthy authentication.

Proof of control over a specific account on Twitter or Facebook can be used
as a less trustworthy authentication, that is proof of authorization to use
an account, but that won't imply identification.

The three point are not about identification, but about identifiers and how
to use them. Nice ideas, but outside the scope of my question. Tagging of
roles is also outside the scope of my question.