Sam, Thanks for the heads up!  Is there any measure of the negative impact
of a banner (in distraction, self-reported annoyance, abandoned sessions),
separate from its fundraising impact?  I imagine some very noticeable
banners will have high positives as well as negatives; then the question
would be what tradeoffs to make.

On side banners: have there been recent experiments with a thin side banner
in the l.h.s. column?

===
For this test (happen to be on a Win machine today):  Win/IE has render
troubles; covers some of the r.h.s. of the page. Win/Chrome doesn't show it
at all for me; even when turning off all extensions.  The corner 'x' is
hard to see.  text in some boxes is cut off ('Other').   It's not clear how
'Other' works.
Generally: looks busy.  Recurring issues:  Loading after the rest of the
page can be confusing on slow connections.  Underlined text in the quote
that isn't a hyperlink is confusing (and could link to appropriate detail).

Warmly, SJ

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266