Le 30/11/2017 à 12:14, Andrea Zanni a écrit :
Maybe, instead of thinking about CC0 vs CC-BY-SA,
we should try to think at the goal: how can we, as a movement,
"fight" the exploitation from over-the-top players of community-generated
content?
Thank you for enlightening this surely far better way to investigate the topic. Stand back is often very helpful, but also often difficult when you have your nose in the data.
Of course, license is the primary tool every one of us thinks about.
But (and please correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think that things changed
much from when Wikidata was not here and Google just scraped/crawled
Wikipedia for their own knowledge base. Players like Google have resources
and skill to basically do what they want, and if I recall correctly they
didn't really stop with CC-BY-SA content. So license is not an obstacle for
them. As much as I don't personally like this, my question is: Is this a real
problem?
I miss clear data on that, but I came across some documents making a parallel between a shrink of audience in Wikipedia and the arrival of Google Knowledg Graph. So the basic argument was, less traffic, less people know our movement, less potential contributors and less donors. But I didn't deepen this topic yet. Any reference which confirm/infirm or simply speak about this corollary is welcome.
I don't like the idea of Wikimedia communities giving content for free to
players so big that can actually profit hugely from this,
(huge profits always translates to huge power), but I really don't know
what we could do about this.
Well, I'm far less concerned with other actors making little, medium or huge profit by using work of our community. Per se, I don't see it as a threat for our community, and even this actors might give back in some way if they wish. And in fact, some do. Google does provide to our community some useful resources, not only money but they also organize events like summer of code which benefits our community.

What raises my concern is that this actors can have a negative effect on our community liveliness, even if it's not their goal at all and that they are fine with the idea of helping us where it doesn't directly conflict with their business model.

I say Google, but other prominent actors which makes the sun shine or make it rain as regards of web audience are equally replaceable in previous sentences.

So to my point of view, despite all the controversies it raised "knowledge engine" as a general search open engine would be an interesting idea to explore. That could avoid being left without visibility due to main actors of the field moving to a new paradigm where our community is no longer useful for them, or even in direct competition with what they are targeting but under a closed garden paradigm.

Aubrey

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Amir E. Aharoni <