Thank you for letting us know early on. I would also want to see a post-mortem
on this and I hope the steps taken to mitigate the risk will be consistent with
the ones taken on the recent fa.wiki criptocurrency case.

Strainu

În 17 martie 2018 03:57:28 EET, Gregory Varnum <gvar...@wikimedia.org> a scris:
>On 14 March and 15 March 2018, a CentralNotice banner appeared to some
>logged-out users viewing English Wikipedia pages. The banner contained
>JavaScript hosted by Facebook, which allowed Facebook to collect
>traffic data from those who visited a page with a banner. The banner
>was prepared by the Wikimedia Foundation. The Foundation turned the
>banner off as soon as we learned how the script was running, and its
>potential scope. We have also removed all references to the code in
>question from CentralNotice on Meta-Wiki.
>
>The code utilized in this banner was based on an unused prototype
>created by an outside vendor. Because the prototype was never enabled,
>the vendor’s prototype code was not subjected to our standard quality
>assurance process. However, we made the mistake of reusing the code for
>a different purpose, and implementing it based on recommendations in
>documentation from Twitter and Facebook to improve the appearance of
>shared links. At the time, our understanding was that the platforms
>would only receive traffic data if the user clicked on the link.
>Although this was true for Twitter, the Facebook code operated
>differently.
>
>We discovered the problematic link configurations during our ongoing
>monitoring of live banners. The recommended code enhanced not only the
>appearance of links, it also enhanced Facebook's ability to collect
>information on people visiting non-Facebook sites. As soon as we
>realized these banners were sharing information without even having to
>click the link, we disabled them and began an investigation. Staff in
>multiple departments are collaboratively reviewing the incident as well
>as procedural and technical improvements to prevent future incidents.
>
>While this sort of tracking is commonplace today across most of the
>internet, it is not consistent with our policies. We are disappointed
>that this type of hidden data collection is routinely recommended by
>major platforms, without clearer disclosure.
>
>These practices are why we all must regularly take routine steps to
>maintain a secure computer and account. As the Wikimedia Foundation
>continues to explore ways we can do that within Wikimedia's platform,
>we encourage you to consider tools which block unwanted third-party
>scripts like the one provided by Facebook.
>
>We apologize for sending this late on a Friday (San Francisco time).
>However, we wanted to provide this information as quickly as possible.

Trimis de pe dispozitiv Android cu K-9 Mail. Rog scuzati mesajul scurt.