On Thu, 3 May 2018 19:27:16 -0500
John Bennett <jbenn...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Many of you may have been receiving emails in the last 24 hours warning you
> of "Multiple failed attempts to log in" with your account. I wanted to let
> you know that the Wikimedia Foundation's Security team is aware of the
> situation, and working with others in the organization on steps to decrease
> the success of attacks like these.
>
> The exact source is not yet known, but it is not originating from our
> systems. That means it is an external effort to gain unauthorized access to
> random accounts. These types of efforts are increasingly common for
> websites of our reach. A vast majority of these attempts have been
> unsuccessful, and we are reaching out personally to the small number of
> accounts which we believe have been compromised.
>
> While we are constantly looking at improvements to our security systems and
> processes to offset the impact of malicious efforts such as these, the best
> method of prevention continues to be the steps each of you take to
> safeguard your accounts. Because of this, we have taken steps in the past
> to support things like stronger password requirements,[1] and we continue
> to encourage everyone to take some routine steps to maintain a secure
> computer and account. That includes regularly changing your passwords,[2]
> actively running antivirus software on your systems, and keeping your
> system software up to date.

From my experience, anti-virus programs usually do more harm than good. For
example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_AntiVirus recently blocked my
entire shlomifish.org domain because it apparently misclassified an executable
download as problematic (and it was built from source using
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMake and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppVeyor
so it is unlikely that that is the case.). MS Windows' poor resistance to
malware and the fact that Windows Update is so dysfunctional (see
http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/Windows-Update/ ) are the reasons
why I cannot recommend running it as a desktop, and instead one should use
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux#Desktop - desktop linux or similar.

A little off topic perhaps, but needs to be said.