Hi Vito,

I believe it depends on the way it is done. An edithaton on rappers & pop
stars with high-school students could be a great way to get them into the
project in a fun way. Then as they keep developing and diversifying their
interests, as generally happens with growing kids, they have a never ending
source of inspiration at Wikipedia, even to use as a train ground for
school/university.

I would like to note that, contrary to what seems to be happening in other
projects, and possibly related with some kind of Internet boom in Brazil,
Angola and other Portuguese-speaking countries, the Wikipedia in Portuguese
shows (at least empirically) a very high proportion of kids, mostly teens,
but some as young as 10 or 11, mostly editing in animation series &
computer games initially, and then progressing into other fields as they
grow. I've been watching this for 10 years already. A significant number of
those little kids that were there in 2009 are now sysops and regular
editors on Wikipedia, and part of the regular community. In a number of
cases I know Wikipedia was decisive to develop their skills at school,
sometimes even in their lives in general. It is a good thing. And it all
started with pokemons, Naruto, Saint Seiya and all the stuff that is often
derided as mostly useless in an encyclopedia, but that worked as a learning
school for that young generation, helping them learning how to edit
Wikipedia in a fun way.

I would not go as far as saying we should be doing edithatons about Naruto
and Pokemons, but I do believe we should be helping those kids editing
those articles, instead of chasing them away as "useless newbies only
interested in pop stuff" as often happens. They are the future generations
of Wikipedians.

Best,
Paulo - DarwIn
Wikimedia Portugal