Hi Quim,

I have tried it out and created a calendar entry for the London meetup.

A few comments.

It isn't in the Single User Login (SUL). If I was there I wouldn't be
getting notifications from Wikimedia wikis, and if someone pinged me or
edited something I was interested in I wouldn't get pinged if I was on
another wiki.

It isn't in MediaWiki, the interface is unfamiliar and different. That
probably counts as an advantage for a small proportion of geeky types who
tend to be over-represented in software departments. But for most people it
is a disadvantage, I suspect for non English speakers the barrier is
greater, one of the reasons why I am comfortable doing the occasional edit
in many non English Wikipedias is that the look and feel of the site is
very familiar even if I don't speak the language.

At a time when the WMF and the volunteer community seem to be drifting ever
further apart, it seems perverse to replicate a whole bunch of stuff that
belongs on the meta and outreach wikis and put it somewhere outside SUL.

The wisdom of crowds is vulnerable to subdivision of those crowds. Any
crowd ceases to be a crowd after a certain amount of subdivision. With the
community now broadly stable, a more sensible strategy would be to
consolidate some things together such as outreach, meta, phabricator and
various chapter wikis, not to further divide.

At a time when at least one chapter has realised that having its own wiki
outside of SUL is a de facto barrier between them and the community that
they aspire to serve, Creating non wiki rivals to meta and outreach looks
to me as big a mistake as the WMF decision to communicate with the
community through blogs rather than the Signpost and to hive off the
interface with IT to phabricator..

There is never enough IT resource to do all the things that the community
thinks it needs. But WMF projects like this just feed the perception that
there is always budget for WMF initiatives, rarely if ever for community
ones. I'm sure the effort that went into this could have been used to
change mediawiki to reduce edit conflicts or to give the Georgian Wikipedia
an interface that allows those with Latin keyboards to type in Georgian.

Apologies if that comes across as negative, I'm sure the intention is
sensible, just that the direction of travel is illadvised.

~~~~