I hope I am one of those "rare exceptions" that Paulo Santos Perneta writes
about. I also wish that welcoming would be neither rare or exceptional.

My habit:

   - For newly registered users, which I define as someone with a redlinked
   talk page, I welcome them.
   - If I am going to revert that user's edit then warn them (via Twinkle
      almost always), I want to ensure that they are welcomed first.
   - For IP editors:
      -  If I am reverting an obviously inappropriate edit by an
      un-welcomed IP editor, I typically use one of the Twinkle welcome/warning
      combos, such as Template:Welcome-anon-test,
      Template:Welcome-anon-unconstructive, or Template:Welcome-anon-delete.
      - If an  un-welcomed IP editor, makes a revertible edit that is
      non-malicious, I usually do a Template:Welcome-anon without the article
      parameter, then add a warning
      - If an  un-welcomed IP editor, editor is doing good, I use a
      Template:Welcome-anon-constructive

Peaceray