I have 15 years experience on the coal face, and now more than 10 years
actively encouraging others to part of that.  I come from the time where
the community was growing really fast and templates werent available for
every action, that meant we had to leave personal message explaining  what
had taken place.  Currently anyone can react at the twinkle of an eye to do
the same thing 100 times in  a minute with all the necessary policy links
already there, nothing is written with a personal touch, there is no
measure of encouragement its just a cold machine response even the edit
summary is a cold you've been twinkled upon.  We have forgotten to Assume
Good Faith when its appropriate.

Doing outreach, workshops, editathons and other such events we need to step
away from retention being the be all of these events, the aim of these
events is content, connection, and community every edit whether its just
one or one million is to improve and share knowledge.  The more we get hung
up on volume the less we value quality and diversity, outreach is building
access to knowledge creating a path for others follow.

Twinkle is great tool in combating vandalism, and spam but its very poor
tool for building community and becomes extremely dangerous when its
applied as a training aid or for contributor there are no workshops, no
outreach, no twinkleathons to teach people how to use it effectively just
log a few edits ask nicely at a notice board and voila you're armed to zap
template where ever, when ever.   Twinkle needs to have limits placed on
actions, some review process of those actions - 100 actions in your first
30 days then its disable until some reviews.  We could even consider a
limit to its use until a person has gained community trust as an admin, if
person can only whack 100 people a month they are going to consider/value
their decision when they do so, we might see a lot less templates and more
talking.

On the subject of a twinlkeathon, twinlkeshop Wikimania 2020 is looking for
such activities maybe you can help improve its use

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 14:32, Peter Southwood <peter.southw...@telkomsa.net>
wrote:

> Also, overworked groups with large backlogs struggling to maintain high
> quality tend to have less patience with the inexperienced and
> not-yet-competent than we might like. It is also possible that some of the
> workers in those groups are not as competent as we would like them to be,
> but at those wages, what can you expect? The work probably also attracts a
> share of people who get their kicks out of telling other people what they
> can't do. Again, they are volunteers, we accept their offer to help in good
> faith until they prove otherwise. The competent and really incompetent are
> the easy cases. The not quite competent are harder to deal with. Will they
> get better or worse with experience?
> Some competence is required to edit Wikipedia. A suitable personality also
> helps a lot. However, an enormous amount of work gets done quietly and
> without fanfare and drama, if one chooses the topic carefully, and edits
> with discretion and a reasonable level of willingness to cooperate.
> Cheers,
> Peter

GN.

*Power of Diverse Collaboration*
*Sharing knowledge brings people together*
Wikimania Bangkok 2020
August 5 to 9
hosted by ESEAP

Wikimania: https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Gnangarra