Hey Amir!

Thanks for your questions. It’s sunday (for me 0400 on a Monday) and a
mailing list isn’t the right venue for a full detailed explanation for this
but I’ll give a little background.

James is correct that the work in this area is coming out of the strategy
process and the recommendations it produced [1] [2] and is part of broad
improvements we are aiming to make to Wikimedia APIs. [3] We are aiming to
improve the experience for both free knowledge and community users, along
with large scale users.

Many of the people working on this are brand new (just a few weeks in) and
just getting their feet under the table. Right now they are just
experimenting on concepts relating to the data “, as part of their
onboarding and their early research work to understand the problems and
challenges. Everything is “early days” as they say. There is a lot to learn
and work on, and right now none of it is set in stone. Even the name is
mainly a placeholder (Bulk API might be a more accurate description).

The feedback and concerns that were provided during the strategy process
will be required reading and will help guide us initially. We will
definitely need to seek the expertise and insight of our communities both
editing and technical to ensure it is not just successful but in keeping
with our movement's ideals. The community can expect to see requests for
input and feedback in the coming months.

Given we are very early in this process there will definitely be further
documentation on the work planned and some initial details will be
available ASAP. My genuine apologies that this didn’t happen already.

Many thanks

Seddon

[1] From
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations/Improve_User_Experience
:

** Make the Wikimedia API suite more comprehensive, reliable, secure and
fast, in partnership with large scale users where that aligns with our
mission and principles, to improve the user experience of both our direct
and indirect users, increase the reach and discoverability of our content
and the potential for data returns, and improve awareness of and ease of
attribution and verifiability for content reusers.

[2] From
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations/Increase_the_Sustainability_of_Our_Movement#Financial_sustainability
:

* Building enterprise-level APIs (with high standards of availability,
throughput, and usability).

** Engage partners in the development wherever appropriate, incorporating
the needs of a spectrum of small, non-commercial, and larger commercial
reusers.

** Explore fees or sustainability models for enterprise-scale commercial
reusers, taking care to avoid revenue dependencies or other undue external
influence in product design and development.

** Develop appropriate safeguards to ensure continued free, unrestricted
access for non-commercial, research, and small to moderate commercial use.

[3] For example
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Core_Platform_Team/Initiatives/API_Gateway

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 10:23 PM Amir Sarabadani <ladsgr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the pointers, I personally disagree with some parts of it (e.g.
> Twitter is a company and we are an NGO) BUT since it passed the community
> consultation (and I somehow missed it to raise my feedback), I don't want
> to be vocal about the high level reasoning behind the project.
>
> What I would extremely appreciate is more transparent communication to the
> community about such large changes (especially sooner). Something like a
> two-line text on a phabricator has lots of potential for misunderstanding.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 9:44 PM James Heilman <jmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Further details are forthcoming from WMF staff.

> > On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 1:42 PM James Heilman <jmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Was discussed here
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations/Iteration_1/Revenue_Streams/1
> > >
> > > and
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations/Iteration_1/Revenue_Streams/1
> > >
> > > James

> > care
> > product

> except

> > of
> the
> ("S3
> > this

> > for
> our

> > ,
> ?subject=unsubscribe>
> > >

> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> > >

> > --
> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

> Amir (he/him)

Seddon

*Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
*Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*