I second Jan-Bart; thanks to Nat for this letter. As someone who asked for
a board statement, I appreciate this very much. And as someone who has also
been on the other side, like Jan-Bart I am aware of how much work a
statement like this likely took (and how difficult it is to balance many
perspectives, and address many audiences, knowing many will be irritated or
angry in any controversial debate).

I also take heart -- honestly and genuinely -- that we are debating this
issue. I am glad that enough people care about Wikimedia, and what it
means, that they are willing to argue the point -- it would be a sad day
indeed if that wasn't true. I take heart that we do want more people to
join our projects and movement, and are exploring ways to do that --
including how people know of us, our names and brands. I also, lastly, want
to acknowledge Brad's post, with which I agree. It is a fundamental role of
the Foundation to hold our marks in trust on behalf of the community. This
(like hosting the servers themselves, or other essential infrastructure
work) is part of what we need a corporate entity for. And our legal team,
over many years and many GCs and leaders, has done an admirable job of
defending those marks and keeping them for all of us. I appreciate that
very much. Keeping the marks is a social trust as well as a legal one, and
that social aspect is what we find ourselves discussing now.

For the staff involved, I want to acknowledge that many of you have been
working on this for years, and it must feel like you cannot win, or that
there is not enough consultation in the world. Is there enough consultation
in the world to get hundreds of thousands of Wikimedians to all agree?
Probably not, no. But is there enough consultation to, as the Quakers would
say, discern the sense of the meeting? I think that there is, and I think
with every consultation exercise we get closer to finding that consensus. I
wrote elsewhere on Meta that I was profoundly disappointed in this process.
That is true, and yet: I am also profoundly glad that I, and so many of us,
have such high standards for our movement -- our absolutely unique,
sometimes infuriating, and profoundly essential movement, that values
debate and dissent, collaboration and consensus. That is a brand we all
keep in trust.

-- Phoebe

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 6:25 AM Jan-Bart de Vreede <jan-b...@wikimedia.nl>
wrote:

> Hi Natalii (and everyone)
>
> Thank you for this mail. I know this was hard to write, also knowing that
> it will be dissected by a lot of people who will read it with a perspective
> all of their own.
>
> Having been on the other side of the fence I know how hard it is to
> (re)gain trust after mistakes have been made (and to be clear, mistakes
> have and will be made by everyone). In my opinion this is caused by an
> existing tension between the volunteer movement and the Foundation which is
> based mostly on emotions and a difference of opinion with regards to the
> best path forward for a lot of issues. Everyone seems to remember the time
> that the Foundation was tone deaf, but no one recalls all the things that
> are going well. So it is encouraging to read that we still have time before
> the board has to make this decision (and to understand that the deciion has
> not been made)
>
> Honestly: I realise that people find it annoying to be reminded that the
> board has the authority to change the name of the Foundation. But apart
> from being very direct it is not only true, but also your responsibility.
> As I stated elsewhere I look towards the board to make a decision which
> looks at the benefits (which could be financial or otherwise) and the costs
> (which in this case seem to include a lot of resistance from the
> community). Apparently you are not in a position to make that decision at
> this time, and that is understandable.
>
> However: there is a question if you can accurately measure the outcome of
> the survey as it is formulated now (which should give you a good indication
> of the movements feelings on this topic)… I have heard several people
> complain that it is “not easy” to fill in the survey to indicate that one
> is against a name change altogether. It might be a good idea to make this
> an easier option or gauge feedback in another way. by pausing or restarting
> the community consultation process in a different way.
>
> Thanks again for your efforts.
>
> Jan-Bart de Vreede
>
> PS: I am thinking of making a standard disclaimer under my emails on
> topics such as these: During my 9 years as a Board member of the Foundation
> I have made mistakes and so have the people I worked with, both volunteers
> and staff. I have however never doubted anyone’s intentions and have always
> noticed that  tensions such as these are also fueled  by a passion that can
> only come from caring a lot about the subject matter. It is often easy to
> forget that. I take the blame for the mistakes that were made during my
> tenure, and I hope that the above remarks can be seen as constructive.
>

> > On 22 Jun 2020, at 02:43, Nataliia Tymkiv <ntym...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > As Acting Chair of the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees since March
> > [1] I take full responsibility for this situation. I am truly sorry for
> all
> [...]

* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *