victoria, discussions to monetize the wikipedia content in one or the other
way are as old as wikipedia. some people say "why should i continue editing
and supporting wikipedia in my free time, or donate money, attracted by the
vision to make it available to all, without condition, when WMF starts
selling parts of it?" while the others feel that wikipedia relying on
donations only keeps them at a shoestring budget, which meanwhile grew to
100 million USD a year. up to now the discussion always ended with a
similar result: wikipedia would loose more than it would gain, and the
initiative stopped. why this time it would be different? even more so as
this API idea was already there when sue gardner joined 10 or more years
ago. but maybe it becomes a good idea over time if it is brought up often
enough and the environment changes. in 20 years or so, when the wikipedia
content is auto-generated, auto-translated and WMF has no employees any
more and no need of voluntary work this for sure would work.

rupert