On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 2:01 PM Samuel Klein <meta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We used to have a roughly weighted list of major world languages by
> (spoken, written; primary, secondary) and how well covered they were by wp
> (articles, contributors).  Is there something like that still?

I think you might be referring to the links in the 3rd and 4th line of
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Lists_of_Wikipedias ?
Looking more closely, it appears that the "speakers per article" listing is
unfortunately a few years out of date, as the column of "Speakers" was
being manually updated from Ethnologue stats (which are now paywalled).
I've started a tangential discussion on the talkpage there, about using
Wikidata instead.
Additionally, none of those links contain the "primary / secondary
language" statistics, for which I think we'd need to cross-reference with
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers
(https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q1394450) Or perhaps Wikidata can resolve it
again, as at least some languages' items include a split of the statistics
for that, e.g. Q150. Let's discuss further onwiki?

And +1 to the overall recommendation from C. Scott. :)