On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 12:22 PM Nathan <nawr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, to Steven's point that you might need a jurisdiction where corporate
> officers and employees aren't subject to extradition... I believe Germany
> does in fact have an extradition treaty with the United States.

The chapters do seem like the obvious potentially viable easy
solution here, if WMF set up that contingency plan.

For instance, if WMDE did take over in an emergency, then the critical
difference is that Germany doesn't extradite its own citizens to the US. So
there'd just have to be a complete handoff of primary hosting to outside
the US and some kind of agreement for WMDE (or pick your chapter) to take
over operational control. There's probably a lot that real lawyers, of
which I am not one, would know better here.

> So far the criteria I'm hearing from the comments here:
>
> 1) Politically stable
> 2) Liberal political environment
> 3) Strong protections against government interference in relevant
> operations
> 4) Section 230-like protection against liability for user content
> 5) No natural disasters like fires, floods, hurricanes, volcanoes, etc.
> 6) Strong technological sophistication - preferably a robust technology
> industry that can supply local talent for WMF needs
> 7) Protections in the law for data privacy
> 8) Availability of renewable energy sources and other resources that allow
> for operation of the WMF with a low climate impact
> 9) Tax exemption or beneficial tax structure for receiving international
> fundings by donation
> 10) Clear and reliable regulatory framework for a charitable organization
> 11) Safe - low crime, low-risk of violence for WMF stakeholders and
> community
> 12) Free from risk of extradition to the U.S. or other jurisdictions where
> criminal or civil law might be used against WMF officers or employees
>
> I would guess the list of countries that meet all of these criteria might
> be short. Norway might hit most of these except the last.

The only item that seems more or less impossible is preventing 5 in light
of the impacts of climate change. There is no locale on the planet that
won't suffer from severe weather and natural disasters, just some (like the
poorer countries and anywhere in the tropics) that will see worse impacts.
So the only nuance is aiming for more like "Prepared for the event of
severe weather and natural disasters" not "none".