Hi,

On 2/14/21 5:08 PM, Łukasz Garczewski wrote:
*So here's a constructive alternative idea:*

  * Let's gather the needs and use cases for tools used by WMF and
    affiliates,
  * Let's build a list of potential open source replacements and map
    what features are missing,
  * Let's put the word out that we're looking for open source
    replacements where there are none available,
  * Let's embed Wikimedia liaisons in key open source projects to ensure
    our needs and use cases are addressed promptly,
  * Let's use initiatives such as Summer of Code to kickstart building
    some of these tools.

Please see <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FLOSS-Exchange> which is the starting point of what you're looking for.

> <snip>
Oh, and in case anybody's wondering why we can't build these tools in-house:

We could but really, really shouldn't. MediaWiki and the wider Wikimedia tech infrastructure is still in need of huge improvements. It would be really unwise to distract WMF's development and product teams from these goals by requesting they build standard communication or reporting tools.

I don't understand this. If a survey tool is important to the movement, why isn't it worth being worked on?

-- Legoktm