hi molly; certainly.

while I don’t agree with Nicolas’ tweet verbatim - particularly the “need
better critics” bit - what resonated with me personally was being unable to
attribute human values, good vs. evil, to an underlying technology platform.
note; I interpreted good/bad as value judgments here rather than quality
ratings; from a quality perspective, there’s tons of bad tech out there!

in my experience, the communities that build on those platforms are
overwhelmingly the most impactful force in its outcome being either positive or
negative, and oftentimes the same underlying platform is used and misused to
both outcomes by different communities (e.g. the internet).

a potential caveat here is how high or low in the stack one considers… I don’t
think anyone would propose that SQL is inherently evil, but perhaps there’s
specific use cases of higher level technology, particularly in the ai realm,
that can make it harder to separate the technology’s potential from how it’s
being used. in my interpretation of the tweet above, the “platform” wording
made me consider broader, underlying technologies rather than this scenario.