Dear all,

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread. The discussion about cryptocurrency
is interesting, but it is not what caught my eye on (belatedly) reading this
announcement.

I am more concerned about Bitencourt-Emilio's previous job as an executive at
Rappi. Rappi is charitably—some might say euphemistically—described in the
WMF's official announcement as a company "focused on serving consumers in Latin
America". In reality, it is a courier service that relies on the exploitation
of underpaid, precariously employed workers,[1][2] implicated in dangerously
neglecting their employees health and safety,[3] profiteering from the
Venezuelan refugee crisis,[4] and using child labour.[5] Our new trustee was
one of the leaders of this organisation; is this really the kind of experience
we want to bring to the movement?

And a question for Dariusz: you've said Bitencourt-Emilio's involvement in
cryptocurrency was "not a factor" in his selection. Surely the committee
considered not just what experience candidates had that the Board could use,
but experience that might mean they're *not* a good fit? I.e., working for
Reddit is all well and good, but I wouldn't immediately think of a career in
real estate speculation, fintech, and the gig economy as good preparation for
stewarding our movement for **free** knowledge. Am I just out of touch? Did the
committee discuss these issues at all?

Best wishes,
Joe

[1] https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10714839.2019.1650485