On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 5:13 PM Steven Walling <steven.wall...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What else?

In my view, User Experience research has a lot to contribute to this
conversation. Every announcement, every banner, every call to action
can be user-tested, including in multiple languages. Put it in front
of people and see how they respond. Do they get what you're trying to
say? Are they turned away? Are they able to follow the call to action?
Do they want to? How do different audiences (experienced
Wiki[mp]edians, new contributors, people in the Global North or Global
South, people with disabilities) respond?

That kind of testing is certainly possible for well-funded
organizations; it's also possible to provide volunteers with the
resources to do it.

All organizations struggle with creeping complexity over time. Hard
evidence that this complexity is stifling can be the necessary
counterweight that motivates action: user research findings,
clickthrough and completion rates for calls to action (aggregate
numbers are fine, no need to track individuals!), time series data to
optimize feedback periods, etc.

With evidence in hand, develop standards. Wording choices carry strong
connotations. Is "team" a better term than "committee"? Is "movement"
a term that fosters in-group/out-group dynamics? Are feedback periods
too long or not long enough? Do participation rates in elections go up
or down?

In short, I believe an evidence-driven approach to reducing complexity
could bear fruit quickly. I still think fondly of the A/B testing work
Maryana P. and you organized for talk page templates. [1] I don't mean
to diminish the extent to which Wikimedia is evidence-driven today!
I'm sure lots of folks are measuring, testing & comparing different
approaches for community engagement, and I'd love to hear about it.
But perhaps a more org-wide evidence-driven campaign to simplify
processes, improve communications & increase their effectiveness is
needed as well.

Warmly,
Erik

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Template_A/B_testing