Pascale: you are the best  :)  Let us by all means take inspiration from
math and art.

Erik notes, about UX testing:
> it's also possible to provide volunteers with the resources to do it.

Yes, our ability to let people run A/B/Z tests, is extremely powerful.  We
should make more use of this, and teach more people to use it :
particularly the editors already spending long hours fine-tuning designs.

Lodewijk writes:
> Mostly agree with SJ here, with one exception: I do think that some
standing committee to rule on conduct issues is necessary

Yes, elected conduct-decision bodies make sense.  I'm suggesting we use a
simpler process, not be too particular about it, and iterate. The more
drawn-out and elaborate a selection, the more we filter out people who
would prefer to be doing non-bureaucratic work.

Let's combine a slate of elections into *one annual election process*.
Make the range of elections intriguing rather than daunting.

Also, as Steven notes, we need to rebuild norms for leadership /
stewardship of individual projects + decisions. Whoever is planning and
leading an initiative -- be bold and humble, responsive and iterative,
empowering others to fix what's broken.

SJ

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266