Hi Anupamdutta73 and everyone,

That's a great question, there are a lot of ways you could arrive at such a
list: below I share a two part series of trainings that we ran as part of
WikiForHumanRights and more work on the Campaign Programs team at the
Foundation.

In part 1, I look at simple tools similar to the one created by Amir:  I
hope that you check out the video
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:WikiForHumanRights_2023_session_on_Tools_for_Finding_the_Right_Articles_Recording_in_English.webm>
or slide deck
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:WikiForHumanRights_English_Slide_Deck_for_Tools_for_Finding_the_Right_Articles.pdf>
.

In particular, I want to highlight a tool from the Wikimedia Research Team
that suggests "related articles" based on three different language agnostic
models
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Language-Agnostic_Topic_Classification>
(similar links, similar words, and similar and read in similar reader
sessions <https://wikinav.toolforge.org/>) :
https://list-building.toolforge.org/ -- you can use this tool to find
"similar" in the articles from the topic area, in order to create your own
WikiProject of sorts. For example, if I am interested in working in
something related to a topic without a WikiProject (let's say Sustainable
Agriculture), this would be the query
<https://list-building.toolforge.org/?lang=en&title=Sustainable_agriculture&k-results=100>,
that could then be shared in a list format on Pagepile
<https://pagepile.toolforge.org/api.php?action=get_data&id=51842> or Petscan
<https://petscan.wmflabs.org/?pagepile=51842> . You could then take this
list, and prioritize by criteria like Amir highlights (i.e. interwikilinks)
or Pageviews (see on Massviews
<https://pageviews.wmcloud.org/massviews/?source=pagepile&target=51842>),
or any of the various flexibility you have with Petscan like article size.
The tool can be started with either Wikidata or a Wikipedia article in any
language.

In part 2
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:WikiForHumanRights_2023_Capacity_Building_on_Building_Article_List_with_Petscan.webm>,
I highlight Petscan. Petscan has historically been the tool for discovering
"related" topics, but is slightly harder to use than these simpler tools,
you should definitely check out the training
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:WikiForHumanRights_2023_Capacity_Building_on_Building_Article_List_with_Petscan.webm>
or
slide deck
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A_Brief_(or_not_so_brief)_introduction_to_Petscan.pdf>.
I am in the process of turning that training into something more flexible
and useful than a 2 hour video. The challenge with Petscan is that it
relies on previous human curation (categories and Wikidata), which means
that if you are approaching a new topic, sometimes you can't get very good
suggestions or it inherits the biases of previous editors.

Cheers,

Alex

On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 8:51 AM Anupam Dutta <anupamdutt...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> of selection.
>
> While another option must be added to choose the "most important articles"
> of the region.
>
> Regards
>

> *Anupamdutta73Kolkata India*
>

> On Mon, 18 Sept 2023 at 13:35, Olushola Olaniyan <
> olaniyanshol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you, Amir. This tool comes in handy and will be very helpful for
>> the communities preparing for edit-a+thon.
>>

>> Thanks a lot for this information.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 17, 2023, 9:31 PM Amir Sarabadani <ladsgr...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> TLDR: There is now a tool that gives you list of articles to improve or
>>> create based on WikiProjects of English Wikipedia. For example, articles of
>>> top importance in WikiProject Mathematics that are missing or short in
>>> Azeri Wikipedia:
>>> https://whattodo.toolforge.org/?lang=az&topic=Mathematics&importance=Top
>>>
>>> (I'm sorry for spamming your mailboxes, but I couldn't find a place to
>>> bring this up that would be more fitting.)
>>>
>>> This tool basically gets the list of articles of a given wikiproject of
>>> a given importance and tells you which ones are missing are below 10K bytes
>>> in the given target language.
>>>
>>> For example:
>>>
>>>    - For WikiProject Physics and target of Hungarian Wikipedia, you get
>>>    [2] saying article of Speed is missing while existing in 79 wikis and
>>>    article of Molekulapálya [3] is the shortest article of this importance
>>>    with ~700 bytes.
>>>    - For Wikiproject Poland and target of Dutch Wikipedia, you get [1]
>>>    saying article of "Ignacy Mościcki" is missing in Dutch Wikipedia while
>>>    existing in 38 other languages (and many more articles to create or
>>> improve)
>>>    - For Wikiproject Computer Science and target of Vietnamese
>>>    Wikipedia, you get [4] saying article of "Alonzo Church" exists in 50
>>>    wikipedias but not in Vietnamese Wikipedia (and more articles to create
>>> or
>>>    improve in field of computer science)
>>>    - and many more but you get the idea.
>>>
>>> It is not perfect, for example the concept of importance and what
>>> articles belong to them is not perfect but it's better than nothing.
>>>
>>> I find this useful in events and editathons where a newcomer asks "I'm
>>> interested in topic X what can I do?" and you can give them at least
>>> something to work on. Or for small or medium wikis to find gaps in their
>>> content in given topics.
>>>
>>> Noting that there are more than 2,800 WikiProjects in English Wikipedia,
>>> the topics to pick are quite broad. From Olivia Roderigo [5] to Rome [6] to
>>> Soap Operas [7] to Trains [8]. Hope that'd be useful for you.
>>>
>>> If anyone is feeling comfortable to help maintain or add features to it,
>>> please let me know. I wrote this in four or five hours, it's quite basic
>>> and more of a PoC of what it could become.

>>> https://whattodo.toolforge.org/?lang=vi&topic=Computer+science&importance=Top
>>> [5]
>>> https://whattodo.toolforge.org/?lang=fa&topic=Olivia+Rodrigo&importance=Top
>>> [6] https://whattodo.toolforge.org/?lang=fa&topic=Rome&importance=Top
>>> [7]
>>> https://whattodo.toolforge.org/?lang=fa&topic=Soap+Operas&importance=Top
>>> [8] https://whattodo.toolforge.org/?lang=fa&topic=Trains&importance=Top
>>>
>>> Best
>>> --
>>> Amir (he/him)

Alex Stinson
Lead Program Strategist
Wikimedia Foundation
Twitter: @sadads

Learn more about how the communities behind Wikipedia, Wikidata and other
Wikimedia projects create calls to action to invite new contributors
through campaigns: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Campaigns