This is certainly a reason for the status quo (I'm not saying it's a good
or bad reason, just that it is one that is true) but from recollection the
*primary* reason we locked editing when first creating the Chapter's Wiki
was as an incentive for membership of the Chapter. We quickly realised that
"join us because you'll get the right to edit the wiki" wasn't an enticing
proposition, but the rule never changed.

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata