Toby

You make an excellent point and I doubt anyone will disagree that it would
be a Good Thing to do this. Would those volunteering to do it please put
their hands up now?

[Pauses, cups hand around ear listening ...]

Therein lies the problem that most volunteer organisations face. Volunteers
do the tasks they enjoy (or at least derive satisfaction from), because they
do it for free in their leisure time. Now sometimes a volunteer organisation
is fortunate that there are "different strokes for different folks" and
someone else will be quite happy to pick up the tasks another person didn't
want to do.

But sometimes there is nobody to pick it up some tasks (I recollect another
incorporated association that endlessly tried to establish a roster for
cleaning the toilet -- which was doomed to failure because nobody wanted to
do it, even though everyone was in favour of a clean toilet) and I fear that
metrics may be in that category in WMAU. If so, this is when we need to look
at outsourcing that task. As you will all know (but maybe don't remember) we
do now have a contracting policy

http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Proposal:Contracting

and, any moment now (drum roll), John V will be outlining the arrangements
for the contracting subcommittee so we can get outsourcing happening.

If there are tasks we need to outsource, we need to do this now while we
still have funds to pay for the work that needs doing. If we delay until we
have no funds, then we are in a serious catch-22 situation. I note that a
number of the chapters who receive FDC funding appear to use at least part
of those funds to employ project management staff, suggesting that this is
the kind of thing that is hard to resource with volunteers in most chapters.

Kerry