I think that's a largely anecdotal depiction of WP editors. The 2011 survey
showed average age of editors was 31 but that older editors made more
contributions than younger ones. The survey showed about 90% male. It showed
above average education levels and did not ask if they were interested in
military history (although I agree with you that military history does seem to
be well-covered in WP, but then so are episodes of Seinfeld). I don't recall if
it asked about location or languages spoken. I do recall another study that
concluded in the "western" English-speaking nations, wikipedia editor numbers
are broadly proportional to the general population, so given a lot of people
live in West Coast USA, one would expect a lot of West Coast USA editors
commensurately.

Sent from my iPad