All true, but, from an operational perspective, it's much more time-efficient
to approach 1 organisation in relation to many plaques than vice versa. It
think there's at least 3 variations here.

1. WMAU celebrates existing GAs by organising plaques where possible.
2. WMAU organises for plaques at willing locations and then tries to motivate
its members or WP contributors for generally to upgrade the corresponding
articles (as required).
3. Passionate editor (might or might not be WMAU member) either has a GA
article or is motivated to work toward one. WMAU organises plaque.

Operationally, 1 is the easiest as it can be done with only WMAU resources
(time and effort). 2 may need assistance of folks outside of WMAU. 3 is
critically dependent on folks outside WMAU. Both 2 and 3 need communication out
to Australian editors, which is an area of weakness for us operationally.
Engaging outside WMAU increases risk.

1 and 3 are most exposed to the risk that the article doesn't have a "location"
and that the owner does not give permission for the plaque. That risk is
reduced with 2 as you start with locations most likely to be willing to
multiple plaques, but increases risk that the articles aren't good enough,
which is reduced with 1 and 2.

If we are trying to impress WMF in a future FDC application, we need to have
projects that are successfully implemented and produce nice metrics. That means
we need to consider how to reduce implementation risk. Waiting for hundreds of
passionate editors to do something we want them to do ... that's something we
can't control ... It's ok to use the strategy but I don't think we can rely on
it to give us 100 (or whatever) plaques in 12 months. I'd prefer to see
strategies 1 or 2 employed to target the 100 plaques and see any from strategy
3 as bonus extras (or reducing the need to get as many from strategy 1 and 2).

Sent from my iPad