Pessoal,

está sendo traduzido mais um relato de uma professora usando a Wikipédia de
forma ativa em sala de aula. Descobrimos outros professores Brasil a fora e
espero ter mais casos em breve. Quem quiser ajudar na tradução para
publicação no blog da Wikimedia Foundation, seja
bem-vindo<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Blog/Drafts/Iara_Camargo_profile/pt-br>
.

Abraços,

Tom

Design professor encourages students to improve Portuguese Wikipedia

Iara Camargo <http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usu%C3%A1rio(a):Iara_pierro> had
one term of teaching experience when a professor in her Ph.D. program at
the University of São Paulo forwarded her an open
call<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chamada_aos_Professores_para_o_Programa_Wikip%C3%A9dia_no_Ensino>
from
the Wikipedia Education Program in
Brazil<http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Wikip%C3%A9dia_na_Universidade>.
The program was looking for faculty members who were interested in
assigning students to write Wikipedia articles as part of their coursework.
Iara, excited by the prospect, signed up.
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Professora_Iara_Camargo.jpg>
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Professora_Iara_Camargo.jpg>
Professora Iara Camargo

"I got very excited about the idea of writing articles with my students on
Wikipedia," she says. "I think most academics have a little prejudice about
Wikipedia, saying that some information could be not quite real. But I've
always used Wikipedia as a starting point to research a subject. The idea
is not to use it as a reference, only to have some idea about the subject.
Then, when I started to look at it more critically, I found many good
articles in my research field… and of course some poor ones."

Iara asked her students in her Editorial
Design<http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Wikip%C3%A9dia_na_Universidade/Cursos/Design_e_Editora%C3%A7%C3%A3o_(Iara_de_Camargo)>
course
at Faculdades Integradas Rio Branco to improve those poor articles. Her
students researched and wrote articles ranging from famous designers like Bea
Feitler <http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bea_Feitler> to concepts like
legibility <http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legibilidade> to publishers
like Penguin
Books <http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penguin_Books>. Iara even started an
article herself, on book design<http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_de_Livros>
.

"I like incorporating Wikipedia in my class for these reasons," she says.
"First, to stimulate the students to read and write more. Second, I believe
that is good because they are actually publishing something, it is not a
paper that they are writing just to me to have an evaluation. Third, they
have to be conscious and judicious to write well, because a lot of people
might use it in the future."
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Classe_da_professora_Iara.jpg>
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Classe_da_professora_Iara.jpg>
Students in Iara's classroom work on their Wikipedia assignments.

In particular, Iara says, her students get more from the Wikipedia
assignment than they would from many traditional assignments in the design
field. Since design is mostly a visual medium, students do not have the
chance to develop as much researching and writing skills, but those are
critical skills for their careers. Iara believes the Wikipedia assignment
helps students learn these skills while teaching them the fundamentals of
the discipline.

"It is great in terms of writing, you have to be impartial and write
objectively, which is in some ways scientific writing because you cannot
add subjective writing to Wikipedia," she says. "And I think it is great
because they really have to find reliable sources instead of using the
argument 'I've heard it is like that' or 'I thought it was like that'."
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Embaixador_de_campus_da_professora_Iara.jpg>
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Embaixador_de_campus_da_professora_Iara.jpg>
A Campus Ambassador helps one of Iara's students.

Iara's department head Professor Paulo Durão enthusiastically supported her
and her students as they worked on the Wikipedia assignments. In fact, the
institution's academic director Professor Alexandre Uehara liked the idea
so much that Iara and her Campus
Ambassadors<http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:CAMPUS>
, Cauê Henrique
Rodrigues<http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usu%C3%A1rio(a):Cau%C3%AA_Henrique_Rodrigues>
,Denise Akemi Matsuda<http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usu%C3%A1ria:Denise_Akemi>,
and Maira
Rodrigues<http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usu%C3%A1rio(a):Ma%C3%ADra_Rodrigues>,
were featured in a video shown in the school cafeteria for one month. Iara
and her students also had help from two Portuguese Wikipedians serving
as Online
Ambassadors <http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:ONLINE>, Vitor
Mazuco <http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usu%C3%A1rio:Vitor_Mazuco> and
Gabryelsl <http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usu%C3%A1rio:Gabryelsl>. The
wikicode was initially scary for Iara, but with the help of the
Ambassadors, she learned how to edit Wikipedia and is even excited about
using her wikicode skills.

"My favorite part was the challenge of working with it!" Iara says. "It's a
wonderful tool and Wikipedia is not only a website, it is a very important
cultural phenomenon. We are in a different time and maybe learning and
studying nowadays has to be integrated with this new Internet life we are
living."

*LiAnna Davis*
*Wikipedia Education Program Communications Manager*

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful