On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 1:16 AM, Abhilash S Unni <abhilashu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Does this help.
>
> http://censusindia.gov.in/Footer_Menus/Disclaimer.html
>
> <http://censusindia.gov.in/Footer_Menus/Disclaimer.html>The site mentions
> that
>
> quote
>
> *Copyright:*
>
> Material on this site subject to copyright unless otherwise indicated. The
> material may be downloaded without requiring prior permission. Any other
> proposed use of the material is subject to the approval of ORGI - New Delhi.
> Application for obtaining permission should be made to ORGI, New Delhi
>
> unquote

Here's a very interesting point about copyright, that I just read on a
webpage discussing copyright infringements (and claims, in the USA, which is
sure a good place to litigate):

[a valid copyright notice has 3 elements: (1) the rights holder name, (2)
the copyright symbol, and (3) the year of first publication. Using an
copyright notice in an invalid format – such as omitting the year of first
publication – is not recommended]

The page is a blogpost by a photographer about pressing copyright claims in
the USA:
http://www.jeremynicholl.com/blog/2011/06/13/the-10-rules-of-us-copyright-infringement/

In this light, the copyright disclaimer on the Census webpage seems
completely invalid.

> Regards
>
> Abhi
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 1:13 AM, Gautam John <gau...@prathambooks.org>wrote:
>
>> On 8 June 2011 01:03, Vickram Crishna <vvcris...@radiophony.com> wrote:
>>
>> > OK. No offense taken. Your legal grounding is well established, as we
>> all
>> > know.
>>
>> Oh sorry - none meant! Apologies if it sounded otherwise.
>>
>> > Can anyone please point me to the relevant link (for the census data,
>> > because the Census Authority is distinctly constituted at arm's length
>> from
>> > the Government of India)? I would like to review the pertinent
>> restrictions,
>> > for this list.
>>
>> http://copyright.gov.in/Documents/CopyrightRules1957.pdf
>>
>> 28. Term of copyright in Government work.- In the case of Government
>> work, where Government is the first owner of the copyright therein,
>> copyright shall subsist until [Sixty] years from the beginning of the
>> calendar year next following the year in which the work is first
>> published.
>>
>> Where Government work is defined as:
>>
>> (k) "Government work" means a work which is made or published by or
>> under the direction or control
>> of-
>> (i) the Government or any department of the Government;
>> (ii) any Legislature in India;
>> (iii) any court, tribunal or other judicial authority in India;
>>
>> My reading is that the Census Authority is very much a part of
>> government. A question that I have been thinking about is whether
>> census data (in the raw form and not the presentation) is capable of
>> being copyrighted.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Gautam