An interesting blog post that touches upon the same subject: and
serendipitously provides a very powerful reason for engineering colleges in
particular to be more aware of and to foster the environment of open
knowledge working.
http://manypossibilities.net/2011/12/everyday-internet-miracles/

I agree with Amir's point that simply switching browsers is a big step
forward for the college, as all users will sooner or later understand why
using Firefox is intrinsically superior, apart from trivial features
(glossware).

However, I also feel that in terms of maximising the potential of the
college-bought computers, users will probably experience a performance
upgrade, even more if unnecessary software and processes are tuned out,
more than continuing with XP.

Still, this is only an opinion, not a guarantee.

Vickram
Fool On The Hill <http://communicall.wordpress.com>