Thanks Ashwin for this additional response.  A couple of quick notes to
close this one out.
Best,
Barry

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Ashwin Baindur
<ashwin.bain...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Barry,
>
> thank you for taking the trouble to provide a comprehensive and timely
> response to my critique.
>
> There is no doubt that India Programs is putting in hard work, and there
> are definitely good results as you pointed out and I agree with. All your
> points are well taken, though I am not in agreement with all of them.  The
> direction that work should go in is a moot point of disagreement between us
> which could be debated further but that is not what I would like to argue
> about. It was basically to present a point-of-view as to how I, as an
> editor, see and judge things. In a sense, it is feedback.

Taken as feedback.

> Your point about the efficacy of outreach is well taken. Pune community
> has indeed grown somewhat from outreach, but this has primarily been in the
> Marathi Wikipedia side. We have had few English editors as a result of
> outreach but barely enough to keep us going and definitely not enough to
> feel happy about. Personal experience has shown me that outreach itself is
> more a tool of education of the community and less that of recruitment.
>  But it is also a little unfair to compare the efforts of we few community
> members doing outreach all in our precious spare time and under far greater
> constraints than India Program.
>
> The outreach handbook is definitely a positive step in the right direction
> but* *I am not quite happy about the way the outreach survey is being
> done. Ostensibly to measure the efficacy of the community-led outreach, no
> discussion of the outreach survey was done prior to it. No instructions
> have been given to us to follow during outreach which will provide the
> intellectual rigour of such an exercise. Since we have not been asked for
> only user names of outreach attendees but no other data, the factors
> affecting outreach cannot be judged.  Since the methodology of carrying out
> outreach for this survey, has not been communicated to us, the deductions
>  may be faulty and the data samples we provide will be skewed. The size of
> the sample may also be statistically inadequate. Survey is a serious
> business and involves all stakeholders and a proper plan is needed and
> executed if we are to get unbiased results.

I'll ask that Mani and Nitika gets some documentation up on the approach to
evaluation as well as the tool over the next couple of weeks. It is still
very much a first step and there is plenty of opportunity for refinement
and hope you and others will add to it.

> You mention that Hisham is doing the kind of engagement of higher bodies &
> decision-makers that I have been wishing for. Perhaps this aspect has not
> been communicated well. We do understand that some ongoing interactions may
> be only referred to briefly as a matter of discretion. but definitely, the
> community would like to know more on these issues, and we would appreciate
> more information on this.

I'm sure the info will be forthcoming as these conversations develop.

> As regards representing the voice of the community, I did not mean to
> imply that the community had empowered me explicitly or implicitly to
> represent them. That was my personal understanding of what the community
> feels. You are free to judge and form your own opinion based on your
> experience, knowledge of things and inputs from me and all other sources.
>  In the final analysis, my views are there as feedback for you to take
> cognisance of or not. Hopefully, they may lead to better decisions on your
> side, whatever those decisions may be.

Indeed, I (we) take the feedback into account and are looking for more
feedback not less.  I will say that there are some techniques to giving
feedback that are more effective than others.  Generally, focusing on
specifics rather than generalities helps; avoid assumptions about
motivation or state of mind, since you can't really know someone's
intentions; where possible, suggest solutions; and finally to slightly
reposition the point of the old song from Mary Poppins[1]: "A spoonful of
sugar helps the medicine go down"...it is nice to  give appreciation/praise
in good balance with criticism. That helps people hear you and avoid
feeling attacked.

> As mentioned previously, I remain a well-wisher of all Wikipedia activity,
> including India Program, though it may/may not be evident from my
> discussions above.

IMO it is evident, even if it might not be elegantly put all the time. ;)

> Warm regards,
>
> Ashwin Baindur

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Spoonful_of_Sugar

Best,
Barry

> [...]
>>> the far too large emphasis on community building by India programs, which
>>> is frankly in my opinion, none of their business, Barry, I feel skeptical
>>> about the cost to value derived by this multi-hundred thousand dollar India
>>> Program program.
>>>
>>> People in the general community may disagree with me on individual
>>> issues, but the general unhappiness of most concerned editors on Indian
>>> community are based on these lines.
>>>

>> I respect your concerns, but I would prefer that you speak for yourself
>> rather than invoking "most concerned editors".  Let's not pretend that we
>> have any special authority to speak for the community.
>>
>> My view of the IP is that it will not be built in a day. We committed to
>> a multi-year investment because it will take time to build and we would
>> need to do a range of pilots (some successful, some not), learn from them
>> and then build programs that work.  If this work was easy, it would have
>> been done already. I'd like nothing more than to have "figured it all out"
>> in India, so that we could move on to other challenges, but that isn't what
>> we signed up for. This is a long, hard road with elusive rewards and a lot
>> of difficult work along the way (including building community support), but
>> the rewards are pretty huge if we can find solutions that help build our
>> projects in India and expand access and contribution to the sum of all
>> knowledge.
>>

>>> You would do well to consider from a Project Management perspective,
>>> what are the goals of the complete year for the India Program, where we
>>> want to be and the exact activities & events needed for this. As of now,
>>> Hisham/India Programs seems to be functioning month-to-month, in a reactive
>>> mode.
>>>

>> You might refer to the India Program plans on Meta (
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program), which have been there for
>> people to contribute to for about a year and is evolving as we learn. The
>> team is working to this plan and is adjusting as needed based on learning
>> from their engagement on the issues and discussions with people in the
>> community. If you have better ideas or think that their plans can be
>> improved, then click edit. I'm actually serious about this.  There has been
>> a ton of keys clicked in the mailing lists criticizing, but not many on
>> contributing to the plans  and helping improve them. They are on a public
>> wiki for a reason.
>>

>>> On my side, I have only a desire to see the community, chapter and India
>>> Program all succeed and prosper. And my support for this wish of mine is
>>> assured to all concerned.
>>>

>> I don't doubt your sincerity. You make a lot of valuable contributions
>> including this note. I would say that we all would benefit if you (and
>> others) would ascribe the same sincerity to the IP team, recognize that
>> what they (and all of us) are engaged in isn't exactly straight-forward and

Barry Newstead
Chief Global Development Officer
Wikimedia Foundation

the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!